At least 73 soldiers killed; UN urges sides to refrain from ethnic violence; US pulls out some embassy staff
Rival troops were locked in fresh battles in South Sudan’s capital on Tuesday in unrest that has killed at least 73 soldiers and sent thousands of terrified civilians fleeing since an alleged coup bid.
The fighting in the world’s youngest nation has set off alarm bells in the international community, with the United Nations urging the warring groups to refrain from ethnic violence.
A military hospital doctor said at least 73 soldiers have been killed in the fighting, which erupted late on Sunday in the capital Juba.
Sporadic clashes could be heard Tuesday in several parts of Juba, even though Kiir had announced that the city was under complete control.
The United States on Tuesday ordered all non-emergency embassy staff to leave South Sudan amid an eruption of fierce fighting, and urged all Americans to depart as well.
“The Department of State ordered the departure of non-emergency US government personnel from South Sudan because of ongoing political and social unrest,” it said in a statement, adding the mission in Juba would suspend normal operations for the time being.
Up to 13,000 people have fled to UN compounds to escape the clashes, UN chief Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday after talks with the country’s president.
Ban called on Kiir to make “an offer of dialog” to his opponents to end deadly fighting that erupted Sunday, said UN spokesman Martin Nesirky.
A top UN envoy said at least 10,000 civilians “have received protection in the two UNMISS compounds in Juba”, and that UN staff were “taking every possible step to ensure their safety”.
The special representative of the UN secretary-general, Hilde Johnson, said it was “paramount” that the conflict did not assume ethnic dimensions.
“At a time when unity among South Sudanese is more needed than ever, I call on the leaders of this new country and all political factions and parties, as well as community leaders to refrain from any action that fuels ethnic tensions and exacerbates violence,” she said in a statement.
The African Union also said it was “deeply concerned” about the events and urged all players to show “maximum restraint” and work towards a resolution.
The heavy fighting and the alleged coup has underscored the fragility of the nation which only became independent from Sudan in 2011.
Machar — who was sacked in July — leads a dissident group within South Sudan’s ruling party, the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM), and had been seen as the main challenger to Kiir.
The two men hail from different ethnic groups and had in the past fought on different sides during Sudan’s long civil war.
South Sudan won its independence in July 2011 after its people voted overwhelmingly in a referendum to split from the north and form a new nation.
Awash with guns after the long war, the country has struggled with ethnic violence and corruption.
An aid worker with the British charity Oxfam, Emma Jane Drew, told AFP by telephone that the situation in Juba was “very tense”.
“It’s continued shooting. Shooting could be heard all through the night. We don’t know who is fighting who,” she said, adding her team was unable to leave their compound.
Communications down, airport closed
The independent radio station Tamazuj said clashes were taking place around compounds belonging to Machar or his loyalists.
Officials have said several former government ministers have been arrested, although the whereabouts of Machar is unclear.
“So far we have lost seven soldiers who died while they were waiting for medical attention and a further 59 who were killed outside,” military hospital doctor Ajak Bullen said on Miraya FM radio.
Another medical establishment, Juba Teaching Hospital, had earlier reported 26 dead, a mixture of civilians and military. It was not clear whether there was any overlap between the figures.
Military spokesman Philip Aguer declined to comment on the casualty figures, telling AFP only: “The soldiers are controlling the situation.”
Communications in Juba continued to be sporadic, with most phone lines down and the main airport closed, diplomats and civil aviation officials said.
An AFP reporter said residents living in areas close to military bases were using any lull in the fighting to flee for safer areas, although many said they were too afraid to move.
“We are afraid of going outside,” said Juba resident Jane Kiden. “We had wanted to go out and buy food from the market, but how can you go with the shooting? I am staying at home with my children.”
There were also unconfirmed reports of troops conducting violent house-to-house searches.
“We have heard unconfirmed reports of house-to-house military checks of civilians including the use of brutality and violence, though this is unconfirmed,” Oxfam’s Drew said.
The UN statement appeared to back up the reports by emphasizing the need for “discipline, command and control in the security forces”.
- South Sudan on edge as army hunts coup plotters (sacbee.com)
- Salva Kiir declares curfew after troops clash in South Sudan’s capital (theeastafrican.co.ke)
- Curfew in South Sudan after fighting breaks out. Was it a coup attempt? (csmonitor.com)